Minor in HDFS

Undergraduate students interested in obtaining a minor in HDFS should fill out the online application located on the College of Human Environmental Sciences website.

Apply for Minor

Students must meet the minor requirements in place at the time of application, thus the application should be submitted when they begin taking courses for the minor in HDFS, and before all of the required courses are complete.

To earn a minor in HDFS, an undergraduate student must successfully complete 15-16 credit hours of coursework, as indicated in the two groups listed below. Students seeking to earn a minor in HDFS must earn the minimum of a C (2.0) grade in each course selected for the minor – no exceptions. Pass/fail graded courses will not be accepted.

Students must successfully complete all 3 of the following courses:

  • HDFS 1600: Foundations of Family Science (3 cr)
  • HDFS 2300: Multicultural Study of Children and Families (3 cr)
  • HDFS 2400: Principles of Human Development (3-4 cr)1

Students must choose and successfully complete 2 courses from the list below:2

  • HDFS 1610: Intimate Relationships and Marriage (3 cr)
  • HDFS 3050: Child Development: Birth to 3 (Infant/Toddler) (3 cr)
  • HDFS 3150: Child Development 4-8 (Early Childhood) (WI) (3 cr)
  • HDFS 3430: Adolescence and Young Adulthood (3 cr)
  • HDFS 3440: Adulthood and Aging (3 cr)
  • HDFS 4610: Stress and Resilience in Families (3 cr)
  • HDFS 4620: Family Interaction (3 cr)
  • HDFS 4630: The Process of Divorce (3 cr)
  • HDFS 4640: Interpersonal Relationships (3 cr)
  • HDFS 4700: Children and Families in Poverty (3 cr)
  • HDFS 4740: Parent-Child Relations Over the Life Course (3 cr)

1 HDFS 2400 is offered in two different formats - writing intensive (4 credits), and non-writing intensive (3 credits); either format will fulfill the requirements of the Minor in HDFS.

2 Some courses on this list may require specific pre-requisites and/or instructor consent. Please see the Enrollment Information and Course Description in myZou for more information.

A total of 6 hours of transfer credit from other colleges or universities outside of the University of Missouri – Columbia will be accepted for the minor in HDFS, provided the transfer courses are a direct equivalent to MU HDFS courses.

A minor must be completed and awarded at the same time as the MU undergraduate degree (i.e., minors cannot be claimed after graduation). Once an HDFS minor is awarded, a student cannot return to MU to complete a second undergraduate major in HDFS.

Students cannot earn a major and a minor in HDFS.

Revised: 8/2018

HDFS Minor Advisor

Kelly WarzinikKelly Warzinik
Phone: (573) 882-3521
E-mail: warzinikk@missouri.edu