How to Apply to Online Graduate Programs
Our online degree programs have rolling admission, so we accept and review applications year-round. Completed applications should be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the beginning of the term the student plans to begin coursework. This allows the department and the Graduate School time to process your application.
To apply: Complete the electronic application through the University of Missouri Graduate School application system by visiting the Graduate Studies online application. In order to complete your application you will need:
- Application for Graduate Admission
- Application fee
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts of all college credit
- A statement of purpose (personal statement)
- Official TOEFL examination scores (International students only)
HDFS uses a paperless application system, so please scan and upload all documents to the Graduate Studies online application system.
Online Application Timeline:
- Applicant completes the Graduate Studies online application (including all documents listed above).
- After all application materials have been received, the application is prepared for review by an HDFS faculty committee.
- The application is reviewed and a decision is made about admission to the HDFS graduate program. This process typically takes 1-3 weeks to complete. In the summer, decisions are sometimes delayed due to faculty availability.
- HDFS sends a decision letter to the student and notifies the Graduate School.
- The Graduate School reviews the applicant’s official transcripts and other academic information and makes a final decision about admission. This process takes several weeks to complete.
- If the applicant is approved by the Graduate School, he or she becomes an MU student and is free to enroll in courses for the upcoming semester.
*There can be some down time in this process where you are waiting to hear back from us. You may check the status of your application by logging back into the Graduate Studies online application and reading the information on your applicant dashboard (see below).