How to Apply to On Campus Graduate Programs
Thank you for your interest in the HDFS Graduate Program! The application process is a bit different depending on the degree you are seeking. Please continue reading to apply for On Campus Graduate Programs. Please click here to apply for Online Degree Programs. For more detailed information about admissions for international students, please visit the International Center's website.
For questions about the application process, please contact Lindsey Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Campus Degree Program Deadlines
- Spring Semester: November 1st
- Fall Semester: December 15th
Complete the electronic application through the University of Missouri Graduate School application system by visiting Graduate Studies online application. In order to complete your application you will need:
- Application for Graduate Admission
- Application fee
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts of all college credit
- A statement of purpose (personal statement)
- Official TOEFL examination scores (International students only)
- Official GRE scores (University Code: 6875; HDFS Code: 4602)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
HDFS uses a paperless application system, so please scan and upload all documents to the Graduate Studies online application system.
- Statement of purpose outlining career goals and department fit
- Cumulative grade point average
- Scores on the Graduate Record Exam (taken within the past 5 years)
- Scores on the TOEFL examination (for International applicants only)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Copies of official transcripts
- Research/Professional experience (please submit your curriculum vita or resume)
Recommendations are submitted through the Graduate Studies online application. Once you create an account and begin the application, you will be prompted to submit contact information for your letter writers. Specifically, you will enter the names and e-mail addresses of your letter writers into the system and an e-mail form will automatically be sent to them. The e-mail also contains instructions for how to upload his or her recommendation letter. Make sure that you have an updated e-mail address for each letter writer and enter it carefully in the application system.
- A grade point average exceeding 3.0 (on a 4.0 system) for the last 60 hours of the Bachelor's degree.
- GRE scores at or above the 50th percentile on two of the three subtests (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing).
- International applicants must submit TOEFL scores of at least 550 (paper-based) or 80 (internet-based), with no subsection below 54 (paper-based) or 20 (internet-based). IELTS scores will also be accepted, with a minimum score of 6.5 and no subsections below 6.0.
- Applicant completes the Graduate Studies online application (including all documents listed above).
- After the application deadline, the applications are prepared for review by the HDFS faculty.
- Applications are reviewed and decisions are made about admission to the HDFS graduate program. This process takes several weeks to complete.
- HDFS sends a decision letter to the student and notifies the Graduate School.
- The Graduate School reviews each applicant’s official transcripts and other academic information and makes a final decision about admission. This process takes several weeks to complete.
- If the applicant is approved by the Graduate School, he or she becomes an MU student and is free to enroll in courses for the upcoming semester.
*There can be some down time in this process where you are waiting to hear back from us. You may check the status of your application by logging back into the Graduate Studies online application and reading the information on your applicant dashboard (see below).
A representative for the department checks the application system each day and compiles applications for review as soon as they are complete. For on-campus students, applications are reviewed by the faculty all at once after the deadline has passed. For online students, applications are reviewed by faculty committees as soon as they are complete.
You can check the status of your application by logging into the Graduate Studies online application website and reading the information on your applicant dashboard (the home page after you log in). There you can find information about:
- Whether your transcripts and test scores have been received.
- Whether your letters of recommendation have been received (and who sent them).
- Whether your application fee has been paid.
- Whether the application is complete and pending a decision by the department.
- Whether the application has been accepted by the Graduate School.