Devereux Center for Resilient Children
The Devereux Early Childhood Assessment (DECA) Program for infants/toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children is a strength-based system designed to promote the protective factors central to social and emotional health and resilience in young children. For more information about the DECA, please visit the Center for Resilient Children.
DECA Program Birth Through Five Implementation Training
There are no upcoming trainings scheduled at this time.
Early Childhood Focus
- DECA/DECA-IT Overview or Implementation Training – These trainings are designed for programs who plan to use the DECA for Infants and Toddlers Program and/or the DECA Preschool Program. Participants will learn about the importance of resilience and how to implement our strength-based assessment and planning systems in their programs and with families. These trainings can also support programs who work with children birth through five years old.
- DECA/DECA-IT Program Refresher Training – Customized to meet your program’s needs, this 1-day session can offer a review of the DECA/DECA-IT Program Implementation process or focus on a few areas that need more attention. If your program has transitioned from the DECA Preschool First Edition to the DECA Preschool Second Edition, we can provide a training that highlights the new elements of the DECA Preschool Program Second Edition!
- DECA/DECA-IT Program Advanced Planning Training – If your program has been trained on the DECA/DECA-IT Program and is looking for more support on using assessment results for planning, this 1-day training is for you! This training provides a brief review and then focuses on using assessment results to plan at the classroom/group level as well as for individual children who may need additional supports.
- FLIP IT Training – This 1-day training can complement the use of the DECA Program or can be a stand-alone training to support children (ages 3-8) with challenging behavior. FLIP IT teaches staff about four supportive steps that can be used to help young children learn about their feelings, gain self-control and reduce challenging behavior. When faced with challenging behavior, don’t FLIP OUT, just FLIP IT! On-line learning course on FLIP IT is also available at www.mylearningpointe.com/FLIPIT. * 2 Day FLIP IT Train-the-Trainer Session also available to communities.
- NEW! Advanced FLIP IT Training – Has your program received FLIP IT Training and looking for more opportunities to practice FLIPPING? We now offer a highly interactive and hands-on 1-Day Training that provides additional opportunities to build skills in mastering the FLIP IT strategy.
- Facing the Challenge Training – This 1-day training also offers more on the topic of challenging behavior in preschool children. Included in this training is more on what is challenging behavior, what is developmentally appropriate behavior, why do children misbehave, prevention strategies, behavioral planning, and intervention strategies. Video vignettes and case studies will be used to illustrate key points. * 2.5 Facing the Challenge Train-the-Trainer Session also available to communities.
- Socially Strong, Emotionally Secure: Activities to Promote Resilience of Preschoolers at School and Home - This 1-day training is for programs both familiar and not familiar with the DECA Program. This training focuses on everyday activities that can be used to teach social and emotional skills both within the classroom and for use by families in the home. Participants will leave this session understanding how everyday activities—when used in meaningful, intentional ways--- are powerful teaching tools!
- Building Your Bounce: Promoting Adult Resilience Training – This training/workshop/keynote can provide an educational and inspirational start to the school year. Using the Devereux Adult Resilience Survey (DARS) and journal published by the Devereux Center for Resilient Children, this workshop is a fun way for caregivers to recognize the importance of their own resilience and how it relates to their ability to provide quality care to the children they work with. Get ready to reflect, laugh, and have fun!
- NEW! Advanced Building Your Bounce: Promoting Adult Resilience Training – Has your program received training on Building Your Bounce in the past? This next level training dives deeper into the understanding the characteristics of resilience in adults and provides additional strategies on how to strengthen these areas through simple, everyday strategies. As we all know, it is critically important to take care of ourselves!
- NEW! Resilient Leadership - Building Staff Bounce! - In this training, leaders will have an opportunity to reflect what it means to be a resilient leader and how to build the bounce of staff. Leaders will use the Devereux Resilient Leadership Survey (DERLS) to reflect on ways to support their staff resilience. This training provides many opportunities to learn and develop meaningful and resilience building strategies for staff based on the DERLS research informed items. Finally, leaders will have an opportunity to reflect on their own resilience and explore strategies to build their personal bounce.