Assistant Professor & State Specialist for HES Extension
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2017
- MS, Kansas State University, 2013
- BS, Kansas State University, 2010
- Antecedents and consequences of relationship instability
- Romantic relationship processes during life transitions
- Military couples and mental health across the deployment-reintegration cycle
Dr. Monk’s research primarily centers on romantic relationship quality and instability. More specifically, he is interested in how couples develop and maintain key relational processes (e.g., stability in commitment and satisfaction) across critical transitions (e.g., the transition to adulthood, the transition to marriage). Transitions provide the unique opportunity to understand change in relationships given that these critical periods require adjustments in how partners interact and react to each other. His second line of research focuses on the relational dynamics and mental health of military and veteran couples during transitions – such as the family readjustment phase after a service member returns from deployment.
- 2018, Steve Duck New Scholar Award, International Association for Relationship Research.