As many have said, these are unprecedented times. The Department of Human Development and Family Science and the College of Human Environmental Sciences are prepared and equipped to support students, families, and our communities.
We are lucky to have a mission to improve well-being for individuals, families, and communities and the faculty and staff who can make this happen.
Here’s what students can do as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve:
- Stay in contact and communicate with your advisor and instructors if there are any needs, concerns, or questions. Please make sure to reach out with any question you may have. Do not hesitate.
- Take advantage of university tools and resources for remote learning. Students needing help ensuring their computers have the appropriate software can visit doit.missouri.edu for live chat tech support or call the Division of IT at 573-882-5000.
- Make sure to use only reliable sources for information. Misinformation can spread rapidly in times like this. Official university updates can be found at mualert.missouri.edu/coronavirus and at renewal.missouri.edu.
- Maintain mental health. Take a walk or a run and make sure to get adequate sleep. Focus on what you can control. Avoid social media if it is causing anxiety. Try Sanvello (it’s free with a Mizzou email address). And take time for family and friends by using technology like FaceTime and Hangouts.
- Monitor your symptoms with the #CampusClear app.
These are stressful times. We encourage everyone to follow the advice of the CDC: Practice social distancing, wear your mask, avoid crowds, and engage in healthy habits such as frequently washing your hands. Even those who are at low risk for severe symptoms associated with the coronavirus can have an inadvertently major impact on those who are at higher risk.
As many have said, “We will never know if we did too much, but we will certainly know if we did too little.” The health and well-being of our students, faculty, staff, and their families are our primary concern. We are also doing everything we can to continue premier educational experiences for our students during this time. I look forward to the time when the campus is bustling with all of our faculty, staff, and students once again.
Associate Professor and Interim Department Chair