Department Honors Program
MU undergraduate students who have a 3.5 cumulative MU GPA can select to pursue the requirements for the HDFS Honors Program and graduate with department honors in HDFS.
To complete the HDFS Honors Program, eligible students must:
- select and meet with a faculty honors mentor (selected from full-time HDFS faculty members) early after admission to the department to complete the Honors
- enroll in the honors section of department courses when such sections are offered.
- attend 10 department or campus research colloquia that are pre-approved by the faculty honors mentor. For each colloquium, the student must write a one-page, typed reflective essay to be turned into the faculty honors mentor.
- engage in a significant year-long (at least 2 semesters) research experience with a faculty member (not necessarily the faculty honors mentor). Students register for HDFS 4085 (Problems) for 3-6 credit hours (1 credit hour = 40 hours of research work). The research supervisor assigns the S/U grade for this course upon evaluation of the research project.
- complete a written research paper/thesis based on the research experience noted in #4.
- present the completed research (noted in #4) to HDFS faculty and students in a public forum.